Emergency Communication Operator
Emergency Communication Operator Employment
Current Jobs Available
View the Current Jobs Available page.
How & When to Apply
Applications are accepted only when an Emergency Communication Officer position has been advertised and only during the period that the position is open for applicants as indicated within the job posting. Except for Police Officer positions, the City of Atlantic Beach does not maintain a Job Applicant file and applicants must apply, or reapply for jobs as they are advertised.
Positions open to the public are advertised in the local newspapers (Shorelines and Beaches Leader), the Florida Times Union, and posted in the Current Jobs Available section of this website. Available positions are also posted on City bulletin boards throughout the City and at the City Hall building.
City of Atlantic Beach
City Hall Building
800 Seminole Road
Atlantic Beach, FL 32233
You may apply online, by fax 904-242-3498, by Email, by mail, or in person at the City of Atlantic Beach City Hall located at 800 Seminole Road, Atlantic Beach, Florida.
If you cannot apply through one of these means, we would be more than happy to mail an application to you which can be completed and returned by mail.
Applications must be received or postmarked (if mailed) no later than 5 p.m. on the "closing" ate as indicated for each position in the job advertisement.
- Must not have utilized tobacco products within the past twelve months.
- Must be able to work shift work that will require working on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.
- Must pass a criminal background check that includes, but may not be limited to:
- Reference checks from both prior employers and personnel
- Criminal history check
- Driver history check
- Be able to pass the National Police Officer Selection test (Standard). This test consists of several sections and measures basic skills.
- Be able to pass the Reid Public Safety test. This test measures the following five areas:
Integrity Attitudes, Social Behavior, Safety/Substance Abuse, Public Safety Attitudes, and
- Must complete a polygraph test.
- Must complete a pre-employment physical to verify that you can perform the essential functions of the position.
- Must complete a pre-employment drug screen.
The entire employment process takes from 6 to 12 weeks to complete depending on the number of applicants. All selected applicants will be notified by mail after each phase as to their continuation in the employment process. The Emergency Communication Operator employment process consists of the following:
Phase 1. A City of Atlantic Beach Application form (online) or (PDF) and a Supplemental Emergency
Communication Operator Application form (online) or (PDF) must be submitted prior to the advertised “close date” for the position. An Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Survey form
Phase 2. Completion of two written tests that take about two hours to complete.
Phase 3. The top applicants who successfully complete Phase 2 will be scheduled for an interview.
Phase 4. Those that successfully complete Phase 3 will be scheduled for a polygraph examination.
Phase 5. Those that successfully complete the polygraph (Phase 4) will have an in-dept background investigation completed.
Phase 6. Those that satisfactorily complete Phase 1 through 5 will be considered by the department and the best qualified candidate(s) shall be given a conditional offer of employment.
Phase 7. Those given a conditional offer of employment must successfully pass a pre-employment physical and drug screening.
Application Forms Required
Remember to complete your application very carefully and thoroughly. Remember, we may not know you and have to judge your experience and abilities based upon your application. What you place on your application may determine if you are interviewed.
Once you submit an application, you are responsible for notifying us of any changes in your telephone number or other "key" information to ensure consideration.
Emergency Communication Operator applicants must complete and submit the following forms:
- City Employment Application Form (online) or (PDF)format.
- Emergency Communication Operator Supplemental Questionnaire (online) or (PDF) format. Resumes and additional documents may be mailed separately or attached to mail in applications.
How Applicants Are Selected
All applications are screened by the Human Resource Department with those applications that pass this initial screening being forwarded to the appropriate department for further screening.