Ellen Glasser, Mayor Seat 1
An Atlantic Beach resident for many years, Ellen is a Navy wife, mother and grandmother. She has distinguished herself professionally as a retired FBI Special Agent; past president of a national association of FBI agents; and faculty member at the University of North Florida.
Ellen grew up in Georgia and later earned undergraduate and graduate degrees from Duke University. Prior to a 24 year FBI career, she worked as a probation-parole officer. In the FBI, she was posted in Charlotte, San Diego, Washington, Seattle, and Jacksonville. She worked and supervised cases that included the Iran-Contra Investigation and many high profile bank robbery, extortion, terrorism, kidnapping, and homicide cases. At FBI Headquarters, she was a liaison to Congress and a national press spokesperson. After 9/11, she was the inaugural coordinator of the North Florida Joint Terrorism Task Force. She retired in 2006.
Since moving to Florida, Ellen has been active in a variety of civic, community, and professional activities. This includes service on the Atlantic Beach Community Development Board, the Atlantic Beach Code Enforcement Board, Beaches Habitat Family Selection, and the Jacksonville Mayor’s Commission on the Status of Women. She once rode a bicycle across America to raise funds for the American Lung Association in memory of her mother. She is a past national president of the Society of Former Special Agents of the FBI, a professional organization of active and retired FBI agents. She was elected to this position, where she oversaw the management of a multi-million dollar charitable foundation, membership grew significantly, a strategic plan was implemented, and programs were improved to meet industry best practices. Ellen has authored editorial pieces on issues such as hostage matters, terrorism, and cybercrime. She also provides commentary about the FBI to local and national media outlets.
After her FBI retirement, Ellen’s professional focus shifted to education. She completed certificate programs in teaching and nonprofit management. She also completed her doctorate from UNF in Educational Leadership. For the last several years, Ellen has been a faculty member in UNF’s Criminology and Criminal Justice Department. Course offerings have included women and the legal system, terrorism and homeland security, crime in America, white-collar crime, and serial murder. After being elected mayor, she reduced her workload at UNF to parttime.
Now an empty nester, Ellen’s life remains defined by her role as mother to Carley, Daisy, Nelle, and Harry; stepmother to Beth and Nate; and grandmother to Wyatt, Willa, and Brooks. Her husband of 33 years, CAPT Don Glasser, USNR (RET), is a former Navy SEAL. Don is also a retired FBI Agent and was an initial team leader for the FBI’s elite Hostage Rescue Team. In her spare time, she enjoys running, cycling, and supporting her kids in their myriad activities. She is an avid pet lover.
Because of its special qualities, Ellen picked Atlantic Beach as her final home. She has lived here longer than anywhere else in her adult life. She is thrilled and honored to be able to give back to our great community as mayor.
- Former Code Development Board, Atlantic Beach
- Former Community Development Board, Atlantic Beach
- Past President, Society of Former Special Agents of the FBI
- Former Family Selection Committee, Beaches Habitat, Atlantic Beach
- Former Resource Allocation Committee, United Way, Jacksonville, FL
- Former Commissioner, Mayor’s Commission on the Status of Women, Jacksonville, FL
- Former Advisor, UNF Criminal Justice and Criminology Club
- Former Trustee, Former Agents of the FBI Foundation
- Member, Beach Church
- Member, Beaches Museum and History Park
- Member, JAX Chamber, Beaches Division
- Member, Daughters of the American Revolution, Jean Ribault Chapter
- Member, Florida Crown Chapter, Retired Special Agents
- Member, American Association of University Women
- Member, Southern Criminal Justice Association
- Graduate, Regional Political Leadership Institute Graduate, Jacksonville, FL
- Graduate, Nonpartisan Campaign Seminar, Leadership Jacksonville